Unitarian Universalist Church Contract
Asheville Unitarian Universalist Church Digital Project
- Our mission for this site is to provide a digitally accessible and thorough historical narrative of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Asheville, emphasizing their work and accomplishments in the area of social justice and leadership within the community. We plan to work with the UNCA Games Programming students to create a 3-D model of the church, as well as a trivia game or other interactive plugin that teaches about the history of the church.
- Our site will discuss the following topics through the use of different tabs:
- History of UU General: Will talk about the ancient roots of Universalism and Unitarianism, how the two religions merged, and the beliefs/vision of its members.
- History of UU Asheville: Will discuss the history of the UU Asheville and various facts/information about the church.
- Social Justice Platform: Will showcase the process of creating a social action project, discuss and provide links to many of the groups and causes helped by the UU church, and discuss the history of major projects taken on by the UU church.
- History of the Church’s Structure/ 3D Model:
- The People (Reverends) of the UU Church: Basically there will be a list of the different ministers who have presided over the church, with paragraphs detailing when they started, significant accomplishments, and when they ended their time there. Hopefully there will be usable recordings of their sermons to add to their details, in either audio or transcript. There will also be a subpage of major contributors to the Asheville UU Church, such as Lon Ray Call. Finally if there are enough records, it would be nice to have a SAC leader subpage, listing the different SAC members and their specific social activist concerns.
- We will all participate in research of our topic and help creatively compile our information into a user friendly site that will give the information we as a group deem necessary. We will work collaboratively, giving individual assignments as we as a group see fit.
- Tools you plan to use
- We will be using a WordPress site with a twenty sixteen theme. We will also look at and discuss different plugins as we move through the project such as Timeline JS (Haylee), story-mapper, canva (Zoe), thinglink (tim)
- We hope to use the Thinglink tool to create an interactive header image with small tidbits of information on the church, the image itself will most likely be of the church’s structure.
- Who will do what? We will divide the work into two writers, Timothy and Zoe, and an editor, Haylee. The writers will write the meat of the website, while the editor will look for errors in spelling, grammar, and citation. All will contribute to the structuring of the website, such as creating plug ins and forming the structure website.
- Timothy: People of the Church Page, History of Church’s structure page, Thinglink Image, contribute to Timeline JS notes
- Haylee: Timeline JS of history of UU setup, History of Universalism/Unitarianism page, and History of UU Asheville page
- Zoe: Canva plugins, SAC mission statement, Social Justice Platform page, contribute to Timeline JS notes
- Schedule of milestones (when critical pieces are ready to present)
- Friday March 3: Website theme and plan ready, present ideas to AVID students in Special Collections.
- Monday March 6: New Contract due
- Friday March 10: Timeline JS pluggin will be ready (Haylee), work on first two tabs of site.
- Spring Break: each contribute info to website
- Monday March 20: Meeting with Dr Pearson/ Have pitch ready for GP students.
- Wednesday March 23: Remaining tabs finished
- Wednesday March 29: General editing of site/First Draft due
- Friday April 7: Add GP plugins to site/ Finish remaining work over the next couple of weeks.
- Wednesday April 19: Final Draft Due
- Friday April 21: Practice Presentation
- Monday May 8: Final Presentations